Contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
The SDGs set by the United Nations define global sustainable development priorities and aspirations for 2030, highlighting the world’s biggest social and environmental challenges.
As a multinational company, we believe we have a responsibility and a role to play to help achieve these goals. We mapped the 17 SDGs to our material topics and business strategy. We then identified the 11 goals that are most relevant to our sustainability strategy. Our performance against these SDGs is highlighted throughout this report.
Good health and well-being
- We aim to ensure healthy lives and well-being for all.
- We are engaged in minimizing risks of negative impact on people due to our activities.
3.8Achieve universal health coverage, including financial risk protection, access to quality essential health-care services and access to safe, effective, quality and affordable essential medicines and vaccines for all
3.9By 2030, substantially reduce the number of deaths and illnesses from hazardous chemicals and air, water and soil pollution and contamination
Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
- We support education in all the countries where we operate.
- We develop the competence of our employees through a blended approach.
4.3By 2030, ensure equal access for all women and men to affordable and quality technical, vocational and tertiary education, including university
Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- We aspire to achieve full gender equality.
- Our Women in Leadership program prepares the next generation of women leaders.
5.5Ensure women’s full and effective participation and equal opportunities for leadership at all levels of decision-making in political, economic and public life
Clean water and sanitation
- We are committed to reducing our water consumption and recycling more.
- All our wastewater is treated before being discharged into the environment.
- We strive for zero waste in landfill.
6.3By 2030, improve water quality by reducing pollution, eliminating dumping and minimizing release of hazardous chemicals and materials, halving the proportion of untreated wastewater and substantially increasing recycling and safe reuse globally
6.4By 2030, substantially increase water-use efficiency across all sectors and ensure sustainable withdrawals and supply of freshwater to address water scarcity and substantially reduce the number of people suffering from water scarcity
Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- We deploy programs to improve energy efficiency in all our manufacturing sites
7.3By 2030, double the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency
Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
- We apply a zero tolerance approach to forced labor.
- We assess and mitigate social risks in our extended supply chain.
- We focus on providing a safe workplace with zero injuries and zero occupational diseases.
8.7Take immediate and effective measures to eradicate forced labor, end modern slavery and human trafficking and secure the prohibition and elimination of the worst forms of child labor, including recruitment and use of child soldiers, and by 2025 end child labor in all its forms
8.8Protect labor rights and promote safe and secure working environments for all workers, including migrant workers, in particular women migrants, and those in precarious employment
Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- We promote open innovation and partner with a wide range of universities and research institutes throughout the world.
9.5Enhance scientific research, upgrade the technological capabilities of industrial sectors in all countries, in particular developing countries, including, by 2030, encouraging innovation and substantially increasing the number of research and development workers per 1 million people and public and private research and development spending
Reduce inequality within and among countries
- We promote equal opportunities for all.
- Our ambition is to be a leader in cultural and disability inclusion.
- Our ST Foundation is bridging the digital divide.
10.2By 2030, empower and promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all, irrespective of age, sex, disability, race, ethnicity, origin, religion or economic or other status
Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- We strive for zero waste in landfill, reduce our consumption of chemicals and eliminate hazardous materials.
12.4By 2020, achieve the environmentally sound management of chemicals and all wastes throughout their life cycle, in accordance with agreed international frameworks, and significantly reduce their release to air, water and soil in order to minimize their adverse impacts on human health and the environment
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- We are committed to being carbon neutral by 2027.
- We deploy programs to reduce our GHG emissions.
- We actively participate in industry initiatives for action on climate change.
13.1Strengthen resilience and adaptive capacity to climate-related hazards and natural disasters in all countries
Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development – Multi-stakeholder partnerships
- As a member of the Responsible Business Alliance and other industry associations, we share knowledge and expertise to help achieve the SDGs.
17.16Enhance the global partnership for sustainable development, complemented by multi-stakeholder partnerships that mobilize and share knowledge, expertise, technology and financial resources, to support the achievement of the sustainable development goals in all countries